Item 1: Cartoon
- Metonymy: Parthenon symbolize Greece.
- Irony: Greece has been under a crisis debt. The country cannot manage to get out of this economic recession so that she has to think of selling even the cutural and historical emblem, the national treasure of the country and the world as well.
- Overstatement: Although Greece used to have a very tough time with the economic crisis, Parthenon has not been fallen into the hand of other owner, which is a good news for the Greek.
- The crisis debt has been overpowering some European countries. This means that there must be an urgent and effective solution to this problem. If not, that priceless properties are sold will become true.
Item 2: Fable
The Fox and the Grapes
One hot summer’s day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. “Just the thing to quench my thirst,” quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.” It is easy to despise what you cannot get.
Metaphor: The Fox can be seen as a person in general. The Grapes are the achievments that are hard to obtain.
There are achievements which requires a lot of effort put into them. Do not hurry to give up when you have not tried hard enough.
People often think of an excuse for their failure instead of looking straight into the core of the problem.
Item 3: Poem
Dreams Of Freedom
by Belinda Schuler
Sometimes I wonder what it is like to be free,
Like a monkey swinging from tree to tree,
Or like young eagles way in the skies,
Calling to each other with joyful cries.
Oh, to be free and without a care,
Not to live in bondage or constant fear.
To live each day and spread my wings,
To be forever untouched by negative things.
Rhyme: free – tree/ skies – cries/ wings – things
- Simile: like a monkey swinging from tree to tree/ like young eagles way in the skies
- Parallelism: like a monkey … – like young eagles …/ to be free … – to live each day … – to be forever …
- People should live a life of comfort and freedom. Do not be so worried about hardships or negative problems. Instead, try to enjoy the life at best and we will be happy.